Allopurinol is known as xantine oxidase inhibitor, so it stops uric acid production by preventing the oxidation of hypoxanthine into xanthine.
Also, it is known as uricostatic agent.
BIOLORIC is used for treatment of:
- hyperuricemia associated with gout, urate nephropathy caused by urea mono sodium, during cancer chemo & radio therapy.
- BIOLORIC is also used in the management of renal calculi due to the deposition of calcium oxalate.
- It should not be used with patients who have developed hypersensitivity to the drug.
- BIOLORIC is used with caution during pregnancy and lactation (under medical supervision).
- Acute attack of gout.
BIOLORIC may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, skin rash, headache, and may cause leucopenia.
- Treatment should be stopped if any skin reactions or other signs of hypersensitivity develop.
- BIOLORIC should be used with caution in patients suffering from renal or hepatic impairment.
- BIOLORIC should be used with caution in patients suffering from hypertension and diabetes mellitus.
- BIOLORIC should be used with care when administered with Ampicillines or Thiazide diuretics. It may develop an increase of hypersensitivity reactions.
- BIOLORIC enhances the activity of captopril, coumarin derivatives, and theophylline.
DOSAGE & ADMINISTRATION:
The starting dose of allopurinol is 100 mg daily gradually increased by 100 mg at weekly intervals.
In case of mild to moderate gout: 100 – 300 mg daily.
In case of moderately severe tophaceous gout: 600 mg daily.
The maximum daily dose should not exceed 900 mg; the single dose should not exceed 300 mg.
When used for the prevention of uric acid nephropathy associated with cancer therapy:
600-900 mg daily generally for 2 or 3 days and starting before the cancer treatment.
The main use of allopurinol in children is for hyperuricaemia associated with cancer or cancer chemotherapy or with enzyme disorders:
For children under 6 years of age: 150 mg.
For children 6 – 10 years of age: 300 mg, adjusted if necessary after 48 hours.
Note: BIOLORIC is best taken after food, and patients should maintain an adequate fluids intake (about 2 litres daily) to prevent renal calculi formation.
Boxes of 30 tablets.